Comprehensive Liability Insurance Policy

OSBIE’s liability insurance protects against any legal responsibility arising out of a negligent act or failure to act as a prudent person would have, which causes bodily injury or property damage to another party resulting from their operations. One unique feature of our liability policy is that coverage is subject to a $0 deductible.

Our policy is written on an occurrence basis; standard clauses included are:

  • Personal Injury & Property Damage Liability
  • Tenants’ Legal Liability
  • Incidental Professional & Malpractice Liability
  • Errors & Omissions Liability
  • Non-Owned Automobile Liability
  • Unmanned Air Vehicle Systems (UAVS) Liability subject to a maximum 2-kilogram weight limit
  • Cross Liability/Severability of Interests Clause

Our policy also provides coverage for Environmental Impairment and Sexual Assault which are on a claims made basis and ONLY applies to the Named Insured which is the school board.

 Who is Covered?

Our policy provides coverage to:

  • Employees
  • Teachers
  • Administrators
  • Trustees
  • Co-op students on a work assignment
  • Volunteers
  • Referees

While acting within the scope of their duties as outlined by the school board.


A certificate is a document used to provide verification of the following:

  • Type of insurance coverage
  • Limits of insurance coverage
  • Insurer’s name
  • Policy number
  • Effective and expiry dates of the policy

Throughout the year school boards enter into a number of arrangements with third parties, it is important to know when the school board is responsible to provide or request a certificate. Equally important is to know whether the document should be “Evidence of Insurance” or “Certificate of Insurance.”

Proof of Insurance or Certificate of Insurance – which do I need to provide?

Requests for evidence (proof) of insurance, along with requests for a third party to be added as an Additional Insured, are common for school board activities. But how do you know which to provide and when?

There are two different documents that can address this question:

  • Evidence/Proof of Insurance
  • Certificates of Insurance & Additional Insureds

Evidence/Proof of Insurance: Simply put, this is a document that validates the Board has an insurance policy in effect. It is requested from the third party when a school activity is taking place at a public premise or because the contract is requesting it. The premise owner will indicate the Board must show proof of a specific amount of insurance (usually $2 million).

The Evidence of Insurance form will confirm:

  • The Board as the Named Insured, policy effective dates, amount of insurance
  • The type of insurance that the Board has: CGL – Comprehensive General Liability

Common Uses for Evidence of Insurance certificate

  • Public places such as Canada’s Wonderland, local pumpkin patch
  • Some camps such as Tim Hortons or Mini-Yo-We
  • When 2 or more OSBIE members are participating in an event together
  • When the contract only requires proof or evidence of insurance

OSBIE provides an annual Evidence of Insurance certificate to the Board office for these situations. You should request a copy of this and provide it to the premises’ owner in advance of your activity.

Certificates of Insurance & Additional Insureds– a third party will request to be added as an Additional Insured when a Board activity is on their premises. By adding them as an Additional Insured to the Board’s insurance policy they are protecting themselves from claims arising from the Board’s negligence. This is done by way of a Certificate of Insurance. The need for Additional Insured, should be demonstrated through a contractual agreement between the Board and the third party.

The Certificate of Insurance will confirm the Board has an insurance policy in effect AND show the Additional Insured and the specific nature of the Board activity.

Common situations requiring an Additional Insured showing on a Certificate of Insurance:

  • Ministry Funding agreements
  • School trip/event at almost any municipal facility (when class/team books an arena)
  • School trip/event at a Conservation Authority
  • Agreements for renting or leasing space from a private corporation (hall rental, private ice arena, Diocese, booth at the mall)
  • Vendor providing accommodations for grade 8 graduation trip
  • University hosting a Board sponsored sporting tournament

OSBIE provides a Certificates of Insurance adding an Additional Insured upon request, and preferably, with contractual proof of the requirement.

If a contract asks for evidence of insurance and then goes on to ask for Additional Insured, you need only provide the Certificate of Insurance showing the Additional Insured.

When in doubt about what is required in a contract or agreement, please send the relevant insurance clauses from a contract or permit to Shirley McMaster via e-mail to:

How to Request a Certificate

To obtain a Certificate of Insurance, please contact your school board office.  We ask that you allow 24 hours to process certificate requests. Board staff can submit the request, along with the relevant documentation, through the OSBIE portal.